Thursday, July 17, 2008

Annapolis

My Aunt Laurel was in town for a couple of weeks to work in our DC office (we work for the same Congressman). We of course had to do something exciting and new while she was here...
Ryan and I had never been to Annapolis, Maryland and Laurel really wanted crab so our day trip last Saturday was decided. When Laurel and I were researching what to do, we saw a link for a "pirate tour" of Annapolis. I was extremely excited at the prospect of dressing up and being able to use the phrases "walk the plank" and "you wench"! But, when I called to reserve the tickets, they were completely booked! What a letdown! If anyone here in DC wants to go one day...let me know, I am all for going back for a pirate tour!
Instead, we walked down the main street and looked in all the shops and looked for a place to eat. Laurel wanted to get as much fresh crab as possible so we were on the lookout for a place with good crab cakes. Lo and behold, we saw a sign in a window of a New York style deli boasting "The Best Crab Cakes in Maryland". We inched our way through a ridiculously packed and skinny deli and sat down. Our waiter was extremely convincing and encouraged me to order the shrimp salad sandwich because the ham sandwich I wanted was something I could eat any day. I was not impressed, it was pretty tasteless. Laurel's crab cake was not the best but sufficient...Our New York Deli in Annapolis experience was entertaining but just eh...





Our next stop was the U.S. Naval Academy. It was a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be! We found a statue of their mascot, Bill the Goat (or something like that). I tried to save Ryan from the goat...
There was one building that was my favorite because it was so incredible inside and out. For your viewing pleasure, here is the proof...





After the Naval Academy, we drove across the bridge over the Chesapeake Bay and found a restaurant for some serious crab. It was delicious and I love eating with my hands! Laurel is completely hardcore and didn't use the tools. She just cracked those crab legs with her bare hands and showed her brute strength! :) It was so fun to have you here Laurel! Thanks for playing with us!!!
P.S. I am still struggling with the spacing...sorry!

8 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

My mom is way fun to travel with and I know how much she loves Annapolis so I am jealous that you got to have such a fun time with her.

La said...

yummy crab....

Anonymous said...

My mom rocks at eating crab. She taught us well. We are so hardcore that we just crack it with our bare hands and sometimes our teeth, or even with our toes...

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Looks like so much fun, and as per your previous post. I would split the difference and say your somewhere around 55. Does that make it any better? Hope you get feeling better

Megan said...

I think there's something so brutally carnivorous about eating crab...Like you're actually catching and killing your own food. It makes it taste SO good.

Megan said...

Trying to see if my new picture works..

Heather Jones said...

Yum I bet it was not as good as grand cayman!! Todd and I have been craving crab. Sounds like you guys had fun!!

viewmont classmates said...

Come check out viewmont high class of 99's blog. Add your blog link in the comment section.
www.viewmonthighclassof99.blogspot.com