Thursday, October 1, 2009

Running - A love/hate relationship

I signed up for a 5k with some friends and I am excited yet nervous. You see, I hate running. I want to love it, I really do, but I don't. I like how I feel after I run and I really like being outside when I am working out. But every step I run, I wonder how many steps I have to take before I am done.

The thing that made me sign up for this 5k was the picture you see above. This was taken at one of the past races. How could I not sign up? Look at those leaves!! I am going to run it and I am determined to push myself.

So here is my major dilemma, and I need advice. For anyone that runs or anyone that has any suggestions...I need something to distract my mind while I am running. Yesterday, I tried to name all 50 states in alphabetical order but got bored around Iowa. I tried to name all of the LDS prophets in order and got lost (I can never remember the order) about halfway through. I tried thinking about all of the things I was planning on making for meals in the next week. I NEED a distraction from the task at hand. Any suggestions?

On another note, last weekend I went with a couple friends to the National Book Festival that is put on by the Library of Congress. It was really fun to walk around and listen in on a few authors speaking and there were also a lot of famous authors there signing books. The lines were insane though so we didn't participate in that. For example, there were over 500 people in line for Nicholas Sparks.

I did however take a picture with the Target dog. He was very cute and well behaved!!

Me, Target Dog, Darcee

11 comments:

Megan said...

I think that would fall under the category of animal cruelty. And I'm SOOO proud of you for running. Listen to the Harry Potter books on CD while you're running. That totally helps.

Julie Bradshaw said...

I sometimes make lists of things I need to do once I get home (or try to figure out how I can fit everything I need to do into one night--I like seeing how streamlined I can be!). I also think about my running form, give myself goals (objects to run to at a certain speed). If all else fails, give in and bring along the shuffle...

Julie Bradshaw said...

p.s. It took me maybe three years of running every day competitively to actually *love* it. Give it time.

Unknown said...

2 reasons why Idaho is better than Utah:
1. They teach you the song to all 50 states in alphabetical order (5th grade)...Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconson, Wyoming!

2. They teach you the prophets song in primary:
Latter-Day prophets are #1, Joseph Smith, then Brigham Young...etc., etc. I know them but I won't bore you with that

Love your favorite cousin,
Darci

(yes I just did that)

Britni said...

Do you run with music? If not, you should try it out. If you still get bored with music, try getting books on DVD to listen to while you run...very distracting.

Chelsea said...

Hey! I would try running with music as well! Try not to focus so much on the actual exercise either but just let yourself relax. If you can relax that is..

Karla Z said...

I run with music and when i need something to really focus on i will listen to a conference talk - they are usually inspiring so by the time a talk is over i am thinking things like..."I can totally do this", and "no way is something or someone I can't see going to stop me from reaching all of my goals - even running"...it might be stupid advice but try it all – you will find what keeps you going and what makes you want to stop – good luck! You are awesome for doing it!! PS I would have signed up just because of that beautiful picture too!

Sessions said...

well I think that that is awesome! It looks like a beautiful time to run. As far as enjoying it, I don't think people really do it for enjoyment sake I think they do it just to have something to talk to each other about. I mean I don't mind running and if I wasn't eight months prego I would do more. I guess my point now that I am feeling like Ryan! Is when you figure out what helps pass the time let me know! And good luck!

Colle said...

Darci's comment made me laugh because I used to try sing both of those songs when I would run. I have the same issue as running. I totally love how it feels when it is over and the being outside. Lately I just listen to my ipod and i can't sing so i sort of mouth the words.

Missy Small said...

ipod. it's the only solution. (and it will be MY solution. 5K, gulp!)

Laurel said...

I bought at book at Target once! I hate running too. When I bike I have a special "riding" list that I listen too. It is filled with favorite music that is a good steady/fast beat that keeps me peddling! It does help a lot!